Wednesday, March 23, 2011

February Newsletter Submission

The 2nd of February was very fun for us this year. Not only did the ground hog not see his shadow, early spring, but Landon turned 30!!! I had wanted to do something big for him for his birthday, but Landon is not one for surprises and really just kind of wanted to keep it low key. So, he went hunting during the day, and actually called in a coyote, and then we had family and friends over for cake and ice cream that night. Thanks to all who came to celebrate his big day with him and celebrate the milestone that is 30.

The next morning Landon and Levi both woke up with fevers and an upset stomach. It was the beginning to what we will lovingly refer to as the flu from h*$$$. It took havoc on our entire family, running its course through everyone. Ellen fared the best with her fever only lasting about a day and a half. The rest of us were in for about 4 or 5 days of a raging fever and a nasty, nasty, nasty chest congestion and cough. All I can say is that I hope we don’t get hit with anything even close to that for a very long time.

Katie was able to start taking a parenting course this month, Love & Logic, and has really been enjoying it. It has given us some good tips to dealing with our kids and especially in trying to keep our cool. We are far from perfect with it, but I really think that if we work at it, it will be a good strategy for our kids, especially Ellen. My favorite thing it taught me thus far is, “I love you too much to argue.” It has stopped Ella dead in her tracks.

Katie also was busy this month with several different projects. One of which was planning a baby shower for Annie. Since it has been 8 years since Annie has had a baby she was in desperate need of new things and everyone was more than happy to oblige. The shower went off well and we are so excited for them to be expanding their family again. We can’t wait to meet this new baby girl!

One of Katie’s other projects was planning Ellen’s classes Valentines Party. I got asked at the last minute and was more than happy to accept. They are really not that hard to plan, but then we came down with the flu and I was out of commission for most of the week before the party. I was able to pull a couple of moms in to help me out, but ended up being one mom short of what I would like to have. In the end the party went well, although it wasn’t my best work.

Valentines Day for the rest of us was fun, but not made into a very big deal. The kids all loved making their Valentine’s and they especially loved the valentines they received in return. Both Ella and Trevor scored at their school and preschool parties and the valentines from the grandparents were greatly appreciated. The boys especially loved their hats they got from Grandma and Grandpa Ladwig. They wore them proudly for days and days following.

Landon and I didn’t really do much for Valentine’s this year. We decided that since we had been sick and we are poor, that we would just say we loved each other and call it good. We were able to go out to dinner the weekend before Valentines for cheaper than usual thanks to a date night swap group we joined. Every Friday night we swap kids with three other couples in the ward for a date night. The night that it is your turn to watch can be a little hectic with the possibility of up to 16 children attending, but then you get 3 free nights of babysitting each month. The kids are good kids and play together well so it has turned out to be a really enjoyable thing for us. And we are especially excited about all of the dates we have been able to have (even if they have just been coming home and watching a movie on Netflix together.)

The end of the month brought one more fun activity for Katie. She was able to perform at her Stake Women’s Conference with her ABBA remake singing group, “Sisters Supreme.” We started this adventure a year ago and did a few performances throughout the year. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to add to our repertoire. Our song selection now includes, “Take a chance on Relief Society” (Take a chance on me), “Sleep Deprived” (The winner takes it all), “If I pay my Tithing” (Money, Money, Money), “Visiting Teaching SOS” (SOS), “Mama Rhapsody” (Bohemian Rhapsody, by Queen), and “Future Queen” (Dancing Queen). I believe that it can be found on YouTube or on facebook if you really wanted to check it out. The girls I do this with have become dear friends of mine and we have a blast doing it. Renee was able to come and watch and I am grateful for her support as well as Audra’s out in the crowd. It was my favorite performance to date and we even booked our next one for March.

No comments:

Dreaming in Color